“I read your issues like clockwork! I’m a literary agent, and there’s such a great cast of emerging writers on this site that I’m always checking in to see if there’s anyone who might be looking for representation for longer form work.” Victoria Marini, Irene Goodman Agency
One of the best ways to motivate yourself to finish projects — and be noticed! — is to take advantage of well-respected awards opportunities. Here’s one you may want to look into for short stories and essays you’ve been working on: The Masters Review Anthology Volume VII. The deadline is March 31st and $5,000 will be awarded to 10 emerging writers along with publication and valuable exposure. Here’s an overview:
“Every year The Masters Review opens submissions to produce our anthology, a collection of ten stories or essays written by the best emerging authors. Our aim is to showcase ten writers who we believe will continue to produce great work. The ten winners are nationally distributed in a printed book with their stories and essays exposed to top agents, editors, and authors across the country. “
The Masters Review holds first publication rights for three months after publication. Authors agree not to publish, nor authorize or permit the publication of, any part of the material for three months following The Masters Review’s first publication.
- fiction and narrative nonfiction
- 8000 word count maximum
- international submissions allowed
- simultaneous and multiple submissions are allowed, but please inform us if your story has been accepted elsewhere
- previously unpublished work only
- emerging writers only: cannot have a novel published at the time of submission (self-published authors and writers with published story collections are free to submit. Authors with a contract for a novel are also free to submit.)
- work published only on social media is eligible.
- $20 reading fee per story
- Winners Receive: $500 award; publication in a nationally distributed journal; exposure to select list of 50 editors and literary agencies.
For more information, visit: https://mastersreview.com/ — and write on!