“We don’t have any preferences topically or in terms of style. We’re simply looking for the best. We don’t define, nor are we interested in, stories identified by their genre. We do, however, consider ourselves a publication that focuses on literary fiction. Dazzle us, take chances, and be bold.” The Masters Review
As we move toward the lazy days of summer, here’s a contest to help you polish and gain exposure for some of your shorter works: The Masters Review Summer Short Story Award. Deadline: August 31. The winning story will be awarded $3000 and publication online.
The contest is for emerging writers only. As The Masters Review notes, “We are interested in offering a larger platform to new writers. Self-published writers and writers with story collections and novels with a small circulation are welcome to submit. Writers with novels published with a circulation of fewer than 5000 copies can also submit.”
All winners and honorable mentions will receive agency review by: Nat Sobel from Sobel Weber, Victoria Cappello from The Bent Agency, Andrea Morrison from Writers House, Sarah Fuentes from Fletcher & Company and Samantha Fingerhut from Compass Talent.
- Winner receives $3000, publication, and agency review
- Second and third place prizes: $300 / $200, publication, and agency review
- Stories under 6000 words
- Previously unpublished stories only
- Translations allowed if the story has not been published in another language
- Simultaneous and multiple submissions welcomed
- International submissions welcomed
- $20 entry fee
- No identifying information with submission
- All stories are considered for publication
- If requesting an editorial letter, please indicate on your cover letter if the submissions is fiction or creative nonfiction. For more on the The Masters Review, please visit its FAQ page.
Submitting to contests can be a great motivator to finish and polish your stories until they sing and dance. So if you are an “emerging writer,” why not throw your hat in the ring? Write on!
Please help KWD grow by sharing: https://karinwritesdangerously.wordpress.com/